Monday, January 19, 2009

Looking back and looking forward. Thoughts on Inauguration Eve....

In case you've been living under a large rock, tomorrow is the historic Inauguration Day for president-elect Barack Obama. I'm sure this is one of a 937,856,362 different blog posts on this subject, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in as well.

It's no secret the more than 3/4 of America is beyond glad that today is George W. Bush's last day in office. To say he's leaving office on a low note is an understatement. We're in a recession. Unemployment is approaching double digits. We're engaged in two wars with no end in sight. But I don't think President Bush is a monster. I don't think he's evil. I don't think anyone gets into that office without an unwavering love of their country, and wanting to do the very best job they can. It would be difficult not to be humbled by the awesome responsibility of Commander-in-Chief. Could someone else have done a better job? It's very likely. But is he a bad man? No.

I'm excited to see what the next four years brings. I want Mr. Obama to do well. I want great things to happen for the U.S. It's wonderful to see everyone so inspired, hopeful, and excited for the future in these tough times. But I worry for Mr. Obama. I think a lot of people have such high hopes. They are expecting a miracle. His approval is so high, it has nowhere to go but down. After the pomp and circumstance of the inauguration is over tomorrow, the same challenges await our country, and they will not be easy to solve. It's not that I'm jaded or looking at the glass as half empty, I'm just trying to be realistic. He has promised "Change" throughout his campaign. But change isn't going to come overnight. I hope everyone is patient. Even Obama has said that the economy is going to get worse before it gets better. But it's hard for people to be patient when we live with a hungry media that pounces on the slightest misstep. It's tough to stay unaffected by it.

But you know what? Change WILL come. It's life...and that's what life does. It changes. Mahatma Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Don't wait for Obama's change. If you want change, YOU have to be that change. Take personal responsibility for it...it's not just up to Obama.

3 comments:

Laura said...

a-MEN! To all of it. I've had some very similar thoughts.

And cool ceremony today, wasn't it? I choked up a few times...

Anonymous said...

Well said as usual, Jen. I must say though...Guantanamo is goin' BYE BYE!! Didn't happen over night, took more like 2 days - but I'll take it! Wow...we're actually going to try to uphold the rule of law! What a concept!

Anonymous said...

Very well said...especially since here we are, a week into Obama's admin and we have seen some positive changes already...but also we've seen a lot of ridiculous crticism. Like that his speech wasnt inspirational enough or that he didnt swear in on a bible when he did it the second time...none of this stuff matters but it doesnt stop the whining.
Not to mention Rush Limbaugh's "I hope he fails" comment. So change will come, but it's going to take time, patience and leadership. President Obama has shown me time and time again his calming, patient demeanor and I am reminded that I need to be as patient with the critics as they should be witg Obama.