Friday, June 13, 2008

Know this going in: None of the topics in this post are going to flow nicely....

Sorry I haven't been blogging lately...there hasn't been much inspiration to come in the last week or so. Nothing that has moved me to ranting. But there have been random observances/things I'd like to share with you, and I'm hoping it will spark a latent rant that I didn't know I had in me. Here goes....

1. Fluffernutters
For anyone that hasn't had the privilege of indulging in one of these morsels of unlikely goodness, allow me to share with you the glory that is a FlufferNutter. Essentially, it's a peanut butter sandwich with a layer of marshmallow cream (which on the east coast, goes by the popular brand name of "Fluff"...hence the name Fluffernutter). Kelly and I tried our first Fluffernutters this past weekend while we were visiting our cousin in Washington DC. We were hungry, and the pantry yielded the necessary ingredients, so we decided to go balls to the wall, and try it. It was pure deliciousness. It reminded me of a sandwich of mushed up Reese's Pieces (which as you may not know, RP are my favorite candy, especially when they've been mushed up). You might be asking yourself how this could possibly maintain the "tasty factor" when put between two slices of Wonder bread. Don't question the nectar of the gods. It's just amazing.
2. Childhood trick that works as an adult
Ah, pushing your food around on your plate to make it look like you ate more than you did. Instead of it being a dinner of liver and peas, Jeff and I tried this technique with his free birthday dessert at Damon's, and it worked like a charm. It was this horrifically sweet orange cakey thing, and it looked like we powered that bad boy down, even though we each had one bite. The 5 year old thought process was hard at work. Check it out:
Could we have just left it alone and said we didn't like it? Most people could, but I can safely say that BOTH Jeff and I have this complex about not wanting to hurt people's feelings, especially this waitress that was thoughtful enough to bring him dessert and a cheap plastic lei, all the while singing him "Happy Birthday" all by herself (and off key).

3. Basketball
If I'm ever watching a sport, you can usually bet your life savings that it's baseball. I've never been a huge basketball fan, but I have to say that this year's NBA playoffs have been very cool to watch unfold. Or at least read about the next day. The Boston Celtics are currently rendering the Lakers speechless, and I couldn't be happier. I know I'm from LA, and I should be rooting for the home team, but I really want to see the Celtics win it all. Maybe it's a combination of the Irish heritage that draws me to the green uniforms, a loyalty to my old temporary home of Beantown, the fact that I see the Lakers as the Yankees of basketball, a permanent soft spot in my heart for any underdog, or just my strong dislike of Kobe Bryant, but whatever it is, I love watching the Lakers get trounced. And last night, by all accounts, the Celtics should have lost, up until the last quarter. Those Lakers were beat on their home court by a team that came back from a 24 point deficit. If there ever was a decade to be a fan of Boston sports teams, this is definitely it. Go Celtics.

4. Airplane bathrooms
Is any one else out there terrified to flush a toilet on an airplane for fear they will be sucked in? I mean, that is some seriously VIOLENT suction that happens. I'll hit that flush button and stand back...well, as far back as one can in a tiny bathroom of 2 square feet.

I realized this is the second bathroom related blog I've written in the last 6 weeks. Where is my brain? In the crapper, evidently.

1 comment:

debi9kids said...

LOL! Great post.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fluffernutter!!! YUM-O!
Now I need to make one! (and I have it too! YIPPEE!!!)